Friday, January 3, 2014

Chat Pack Challenge: 2 – Memories

Today’s question: What is the earliest memory you have from your childhood?

This is one of the earliest memories I have from when I was younger. I really have no idea how old I was, but I was barely more than a toddler.

Later in life when I told my parents about the memory, both scoffed and didn't beleive I could possibly have any memories of my great grandpa. He died not long after this memory.

Memories

I remember it like they portray memories in the movies. Everything is blurry, nothing in focus. There’s a white fog at the edge of my vision. I don’t know that I remember any particular feeling, I am just there.

Some of my early childhood memories I get like this third-person omnipresent feel, like I’m watching myself in a film, not in my own head. But in this memory, I am in my own head, looking out of my own eyes, although it’s like I’m set back a little ways, like looking down a tunnel.

I’m standing in the drive way in front of my grandparents’ house. It’s twilight with just enough light that it’s hard to see. I feel warm, summer. The air is cool.

In front of me, on the ground, is a pair of glasses. I reach out and pick them up and turn to see my dad and two uncles helping my great grandfather into the house. The old man looks unstable and is holding is forehead.  I have the feeling like Great Grandpa George fell. That’s why his glasses were on the ground.

But is that blood trickling down his face? I look down at his glasses in my hands.

Then my dad is calling to me and the memory fades out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!