Tuesday, January 15, 2013

6 Things You Didn’t Know About Becoming a Published Author (Guest Post)

Today’s guest post comes from RaeBeth McGee-Buda, author of the newly released book, Silenced, a Young Adult Suspense. This is the 15th stop on her month-long book tour.

6 Things You Didn't Know About Becomeing a Published Author

1.    It takes time. I thought a writer sat down and wrote until their hearts were content. When they finished their book it was time to throw it together and boom ... it’s done. Boy was I wrong. It takes a lot of time and sometimes it takes many people working together when working against a deadline.

2.    Editing is tough. After I got done writing my book I wasn’t prepared for the extensive amount of editing that needed to be done. I went through the manuscript. Then I had a few close writer friends go through it. Once they were done I went to my critique group. I did another round myself. Lastly it went to a professional editor... twice.

3.   It takes time and devotion. When choosing to be a writer I never thought I’d have to devote so much time to it. At times I catch myself saying I need a staff of people to help. Especially when it comes to promotion.

4.   Bloggers are your friends. At first I was skeptical on reaching out to them for help. I didn’t want to hear no or worse not hear from them at all. But so far I’ve come into contact with some amazing bloggers who I want to thank for all their hard work. Without them I think it’d be harder for authors to get their work out there.

5.   Reviews. Pay attention when its right. Don’t get all worked up over the bad ones. Some may come across harsh. Those are the ones you ignore and don’t respond to. At times reviews can be helpful even if their less than perfect. Authors can learn from them. They can show an author what they need to work on.

6.   Social media is your friend as a published author. At this time I’ve sent out press releases to local newspapers for my release and haven’t seen anything yet. But I’ve had loads of help through all different types of social media sites to help me get the word out. I’m thankful for those.

So with this I go by saying follow your dreams and never stop. Even when the tough gets going. Push through it and it’ll make you stronger.

RaeBeth was born in southwestern Pennsylvania in 1987 and grew up loving to read and write, especially poetry and short stories. Her passion of writing was realized during her eleventh grade literature class. She graduated from American Intercontinental University with her associates in business administration.

In August 2012, she married Gregory Stephen Buda, Jr. after publishing under her maiden name. With any of her other works, she plans to write under her married name. She is a full-time mother of one with another little one on the way. She enjoys spending time writing and connecting with readers is her main goal.
 
Be sure to check out RaeBeth McGee-Buda's website and her book, Silenced on Amazon!

For the readers out there, did anything on this list surprise you? For the author's out there, do you have anything to add? (Do it in the comment section!)

Also, RaeBeth is doing a tour-wide giveaway of one e-copy of Silenced, and author card, and a (fake) razor necklas. Yes, I want one!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much to all the readers who stop by today. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like.

    Thank you Amanda for being part of my tour and I love the look of the post. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you! Congratulations again on the publication of your book :D

      Delete
  2. This interview made me see how difficult it is for an author to get their book out there. I have a whole new respect for them. And to write about such a subject that not everyone will understand, is even more difficut. Raebeth thank you so much for hanging in there and doing both!!!!! I can't wait to see what happens to Amber next =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The process of writing a book is definitely a long and some times hard one. So it's nice to hear you have an entirely new respect for authors from my interview. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and tell me that. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts Aileen!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Amanda for participating in the blogtour.
    Thanks Raebeth for sharing those 6 things with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Checking in! Looking forward to reading Silenced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome to see a guest post :) it's always great seeing someone go the distance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ReaBeth congratulations on a tremendous achievement. Thank you Amanda for hosting her. http://fabulosityreads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually most have left for one particular Taj Mahal
    and as well were being being back in amazing of any architecture, the romance adventure
    after the truck bed cover's designing and the time the trip to inspect the situation. Gravesite screens, skulls, liquor or zombies really linger tasteful Halloween party creations. Giving minor prefers from your house state is practical -- one particular public as being token of your respective respective emotion will certainly make a girl that you picked seriously one of a kind, in addition as your valentines gift Such as initial. Easy facilities put child toy store, club, kite traveling by air, horseback riding, swimming, tennis, table tennis and furthermore racket sports. United states of america might be the most well known debbie on earth.

    Check out my site - best cheap coffee grinder for french press

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!