Thursday, November 8, 2012

Marrying NaNoWriMo

It’s taking everything I’ve got to write this post. I mean, it is November after all. I should be NaNo’ing!
 
As of the writing of this post, I am on track with my goal of writing 50,000 words in 30 days, but I foresee myself getting behind very soon. What, with my sister’s wedding being tomorrow, I doubt I’ll have time to do any writing for a few days.

Today I’ll be helping decorate the church, the reception area and the dance hall. The rehearsal is tonight also. And tomorrow… I don’t even want to think about everything that has to be done before the “I do’s” take place.
Can the same thing of this quote be said of writing?
While there will be lots of joy and merriment in my sister’s wedding, my NaNoWriMo novel will not be far from my mind. Because while my sister is stressing out about details of her wedding day, I’ll be stressing out about my missing plot ending.

Yes, I realize that we’re only seven days into NaNo (as of the writing of this post) but I’m already stressing about the end of my novel because I. Don’t. Have. One. Oh, the rest of it is going great. I’m starting to get a real feel for the characters and world in which my novel is set but I don’t have an ending planned out yet.  

As I think about my sister saying her vows tomorrow, I realize it’ll be as if she’s writing “Once upon a time” on her life. It’ll be a new beginning for her and her husband-to-be. She and her fiancĂ© are embarking on a story together, knowing that “happily ever after” won’t come without some effort on both of their parts.

Writing a novel is really fairly similar in terms of work. It will take the investment of time, love and care to see this thing through to the end.

And in November, when you eat, sleep, play and pray with your story, it may well seem like your married to NaNoWriMo.

I just want to take a moment to tell Alexis and Dan I love them both, wish them the best as they embark on their new life together and hope they have a “happily ever after.”

12 comments:

  1. Enjoy the wedding and don't stress too much about NaNoWriMo! You've done great so far, I'm sure you'll catch up the next couple of days very quickly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EM! The wedding was great and I'm looking forward to catching up on NaNo :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you are stressing about your novel, Amanda. Perhaps inspiration for the plot ending will come when you least expect it. You can take heart from the bubbling up of ideas that are surfacing now and how it suggests your imagination is truly functioning as it should.
    Enjoy the wedding celebrations with an easy conscience. You've already made excellent progress with NaNoWriMo and that elusive ending may just pop into your head as you relax and swig on the wine/champagne! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the wedding is over, but still no end in sight. But I'm not going to worry over it too much. I'll let the words flow for NaNo and worry about things making sense later.

      The wedding was great though :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. A wedding is a blessing! Well worth getting a bit behind on for Nano. Maybe you are like me...I tend to do my best writing when I'm behind or under a tighter deadline :)

    Happy wedding-ing!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadlines are when I seem to get my best work done, I'll admit! Thanks for the well-wishes - my sister's wedding was perfect!

      Delete
  4. Whoo! Congrats to them! And don't worry about the ending...it will come to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicia! The wedding went perfectly and I can only hope that an idea for the ending will come just as smoothly :)

      Delete
  5. Amanda, you looked beautiful at the wedding last night. I'm sure you'll be back on track very soon. That is you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I'm so glad you guys could make it last night - you helped make my sister's special day wonderful!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much sis for everything!!! Couldn't have done it without you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!