Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Blog Post in Progress

I walk into my home office and sit down to my new desk, a pre-used gift from my mom. It’s not new, but it’s new to me so it works as a bit of much needed inspiration.

My laptop is still sitting out from when I was messing with it earlier. The power cord is nearby too. I know that the computer’s battery life expectancy is not much without life support. It’s just getting old, but it still gets the job done.

 
At this juncture, I’m thinking that I’d like to write something for my blog, a new post perhaps? Boy, won’t my readers love that. There’s only one problem: I still don’t know what I’m going to write about. I figure I’ll work on that as I go. My fingers usually end up saying something without asking my head first what it wants to say anyway.

As the machine is whirring to life, I check my cell phone. The device has long taken the place of a wrist watch for me. It’s 7:53 p.m., not quite as late as it usually is when I sit down to write, but then again, the late night thing hasn’t really been producing much, so maybe a change of pace is what I need. Instead of ‘Late Night Writer,’ I could become, ‘Twilight Essayist.’ Sounds kind of catchy, so I guess I’ll work on that.

The computer’s up and going now and I’ve even managed to get a few lines down in Microsoft Word. I pause to look around my office. The place is a mess. Really. I’ve got two boxes setting partway in the doorway full of junk that I need to get through at some point or another; there’s a stack of mail, some nearly a year old, sitting in a barely organized pile on top of the desk – I call it the “It’s-Waited-This-Long-Another-Day-Won’t-Hurt-It-Any” pile; and there’s a second stack of more recent stuff that really needs to be gone through before too much more time passes, but it probably won’t hurt to leave it alone for now. There’s an empty glass on the desk too, from last night when I tried unsuccessfully to pound out something on the keyboard that would pass as literature. I ended up giving up and going to bed, figuring that I’d work more on it later.

Somewhere in my brain, I’ve got a mental ‘to-do’ list, and it keeps getting longer and longer. I keep hoping that I’m going to find time someday to get a few of those things checked off that list – after all, don’t you tear down a brick wall one brick at a time? But I’m starting to believe that Someday is just a conspiracy to make people keep hoping for tomorrow, make them keep working today. I’m starting to think that Someday doesn’t really even exist. Why do we labor for a Someday that doesn’t come?

A thought strikes my lackluster mind. Picking up my iPhone, I flip through the multitude of apps until I find the one titled Bible Plus. It’s a free app that I found and downloaded in hopes that I’d make myself get into the habit of reading the Bible more often. I really like it, but tonight the app is glittchy, so I guess I’ve got to go back to the old fashion way of reading. Darn technology – it works only until you really need it to.
 

At first I don’t find the verses I’m looking for, although I know I’ve read them before. But then, suddenly they jump out at me from amidst the other context.
[18] I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, [19] and his incomparably great power for us who believe. (Ephesians 1:18-19a)
Leaning back in my chair I think, ‘will that make sense to anyone other than me? Will anyone else understand the meaning behind Someday?’ The promise of Someday resonates strongly within my mind as I lean forward to finish writing a little more. ‘It’s a concept I completely understand and get, but what can I do to make sure others understand this lesson too?’

I check my phone again and this time it’s 8:20 p.m. This blog post hasn’t really developed as I thought it would and I’m not sure if many will understand, but I guess I’ll just keep working on that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! Subscribe by email to get updates in your inbox or follow this blog!